THE DANGER OF CARBON MONOXIDE | Auto & Homeowners Insurance in Lawrenceville, Georgia

Danny Knight Insurance

The right insurance at the right price

THE DANGER OF CARBON MONOXIDE

Tue, 06/27/2017 - 12:15 -- Danny

CARBON MONOXIDE IS A COLORLESS,

ODORLESS AND POISONOUS GAS THAT IS

PRODUCED BY THE INCOMPLETE BURNING

OF SOLID, LIQUID AND GASEOUS FUELS,

AND CAN BE DEADLY WHEN INHALED.

Each year, more than 300 Americans die from

carbon monoxide in their homes, and thousands of

others require medical attention due to poisoning.

Fortunately, there are some easy and economical

precautions every homeowner can take to help

keep family members and guests safe from

carbon monoxide.

• Install carbon monoxide detectors with an audible

alarm inside your home and garage. Be sure

detectors meet current guidelines, such as the

Underwriters Laboratories (UL) standards, and

carry a long time warranty. Place a detector as

near as possible to sleeping areas and near the

home’s furnace.

• Test your carbon monoxide detectors and

replace the batteries regularly, according to

the manufacturer’s instructions.

• Never ignore the alarm on a carbon monoxide

detector. Get fresh air immediately and call

the local fire department or 911.

• If you experience flu-like symptoms and

suspect carbon monoxide exposure, get fresh

air immediately and see a physician. Have

your home tested by the fire department for

carbon monoxide.

• Have qualified professionals install all appliances

according to manufacturers’ instructions and local

building codes. Do not try to service fuel-burning

appliances on your own without proper expertise.

• Once a year have your heating system inspected

and serviced.

• Each of the following is a potential source of

carbon monoxide and should be used with

caution, regularly inspected and serviced:

– Camp stoves

– Clothes dryers

– Fireplaces

– Furnaces

– Gas ranges

– Gas-powered lawn mowers and tools

– Ovens

– Portable space heaters

– Running car engines

– Water heaters

– Wood and coal stove